Tuesday 31 March 2009

City-wide arson attacks :)

A Johannesburg Emergency Services fire-fighter battles a fire in a paper factory in Benrose, Johannesburg.
A small factory fire generally isn't that exciting to photograph, but todays was great, it's been a while since I've done anything that I consider 'real", so it was nice to be out there doing something again. When I was at the building, I spotted another smoke plume on the horizon, I ran to my car and sped there thinking about the possibilities of city-wide arson attacks, when I got there , some grass cutters has simply taken the easy way out and burnt the grass, I turned right around and drove back to the burning building somewhat upset!

6 comments:

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

What AWESOME photography! I can see why you have won so many awards.

Stunning blog.

Cheers, JJ

Clarisse Teagen said...

Yeah. they're really good.
I was wondering. Do you edit your shots or are these natural?

Anonymous said...

The only editing that I generally do is slight colour correction and cropping.
Neil

Lauren Kermelis said...

These pictures are great! I love how you caught all the action and everything that was going on within the picture! The pictures themselves really do help tell the story.

aaaaaight said...

great photo!

Jennifer Yoo said...

Hello Neil, your two pictures of Johannesburg fire-fighters battling a fire is great! For the for picture, I liked the way you shot this picture because it is from an angle that shows the thickness of the clouds and smoke that this fire had caused. The very first thing my eye catches is the fire-fighter on the tip of the ladder, then quickly leading me to the building as I follow the water being sprayed through the hose. I can see that you have use the rule of thirds. The fire-fighter is not right in the center but more towards the left side of this photo. Also, I can recognize the depth of field. The amount of distance between the ladder and the paper factory appear in acceptably sharp focus in this photograph. As you were taking this photograph, were you purposely thinking through how much you opened the lens, or the distance from the lens to the subject? I'm still a student and I am learning a lot from viewing your photographs.