Tuesday 7 April 2009

Msholozi

Jacob Zuma supporters wait at Mary Fitzgerald Square in Johannesburg for the announcement that charges of corruption will be dropped by the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) against the ANC President and the probable next South African President.There really isn't much more to say about this, some people have called it the death of our Constitution, some have called it justice, and others remind us that we do live in Africa, it shouldn't be unexpected. All I know is that whatever happens going forward, its going to be interesting elections on the 22 April. A supporter holds up a poster of Msholozi (Zuma's clan name) whilst celebrating the charges being dropped.
Oh, By the way, check out my interview on CNN.com.

2 comments:

Larissa said...

I am not from South Africa, but I've heard a little about Jacob Zuma's case. I am quite surprised that all the charges were dropped against him. He has had a lot of charges against him over the years; from rape to government corruption. However, he still has so many loyal followers. The pictures that you've taken for this truly capture the emotions of his supporters. I hope you take more photos around the time of the election!

Jennifer Yoo said...

These images truly capture the emotions of the citizens of South Africa. In all the photos, I can clearly recognize the their facial expressions and as I’m look at these images, I feel like I can hear them shouting and screaming out Zuma’s name.

It’s very interesting to see these South African citizens hold posters and signs that are written in English. It’s great that you captured different angles of this movement. There were close-ups and the last picture certainly showed me that there were many people crowding in one area.

I am captivated by the repetition that is seen on the umbrella in the second photo. The umbrella leads me down to the man holding the umbrella and I can see his calm face. Even in the last picture, the cardboard sign placed right in the center breaks the repetition of the crowd and I really like it a lot. I cardboard sign is much bigger in size then the people in the back and that is due to the depth of field. Very interesting photos Neil!