Wednesday 5 October 2011

Duduza Tornado

I've lived in South Africa, most of my life and I have never heard of a tornado happening here. I drove to Duduza in Ekurhuleni after hearing about an apparent tornado. I assumed it would just have been a strong wind storm and expected a few roofs to be broken, some windows smashed and the like. When I arrived I was shocked, everything was destroyed. I spoke to some of the residents that confirmed it was a tornado. Some houses were simply gone, and just the foundations remained.
Roof sheeting wrapped around a telephone pole in Duduza, Ekurhuleni following the tornado.
A man cleans up the debris around the rubble of his house.
An elderly woman sits on the rubble of  what used to be her home.
The South African Aid agency, Gift of the Givers responded with R2 million aid package which included building temporary shelter for 150 affected families, supplying food, new clothing and bottled water and other necessities.