Monday 4 August 2008

Mandela's long birthday party

Bafana Bafana and the Springboks light candles on two cakes to wish Nelson Mandela a belated Happy Birthday at the Nelson Mandela Foundation.
Even though Nelson Mandela's birthday is on the 18 July, celebrations still continue. Today the South African football and rugby teams visited him under the glare of the worlds media. The media piles in to the Nelson Mandela Foundation's small, poorly lit auditorium, as they always do when Mandela is involved. The two teams gave him a big cake each, they lit the candles, sung happy birthday, and shared a joke or two.

As I was leaving I noticed the untouched cakes being packed into boxes, "I'm sure he and everyone around him is sick of cake by now", I thought to myself. I found out later that after the throngs of media left the Foundation, a small group of people including Mandela visited a small hospice in Alexandra unannounced to give them the cakes...

I liked that...

No comments: