Monday 25 May 2009

The Comrades shuffle

Zimbabwean Stephen Muzhingi crosses the line to win the 2009 Comrades Marathon in Durban, South Africa. The extremely popular 89 km road race is run every year, either from Pietermaritzburg to Durban or Durban to Pietermaritzburg.
I was covering the Comrades Marathon this weekend, which entailed flying to Durban, I missed my flight, by about two minutes, so had to wait two hours for the next one, but I got there eventually.
On race day, I had to wake up at about 02h30 to get to the start of the race, jumped on the back of a motorcycle and slowly made our way along to the finish, stopping to photograph various points of the course, after hopping on and off the bike for 0ver 6 hours, I'll admit I have stiff legs, I can only imagine how sore the legs are of the guys that actually ran the race are.
The next day you can see all the "Comrades shuffles" all over Durban.

No comments: